Hey Birthday Chick ~ Masculine Birthday
Masculine cards are often the hardest type of cards to make. When I saw this cute Hey Birthday Chick stamp set with the punny saying, I knew I wanted to make a masculine card. I love a punny card and the saying “You’re Still a Spring Chicken” is a perfect greeting for an adult birthday card.
The Hey Birthday Chick stamp set is in Stampin’ Up! current Mini Catalogue.
The stamp set has these adorable chicken images that are fun to colour. And BONUS there are matching dies, Birthday Chick dies, to cut out the images too! See more about this promotion and the matching dies here.
One tip I have for making masculine or guy cards is making the right colour choices. I’m generalizing here, but generally more muted or darker colours are great choices for the men in your life. And blues are always a good choice. Here’s the colour scheme I used on this card.
I love the Night of Navy colour with the Pacific Point colour. And I would have never thought of putting these two blues together with the gray, but I copied the colour scheme from the the Designer Series Paper. The Designer Series Paper is called Well Suited (also from the current Mini Catalogue) and it is great for masculine cards and more. You can see the full supply list for this card at the end of this post.
Here’s How I Made this Masculine Card (see the full supply list of products at the end):
- Stamp the chicken image on a scrap of Basic White cardstock with Memento Black ink.
- Colour the chicken image with Blends Markers (see more about Blends here).
- Die cut out the chick image with the matching Birthday Chick dies.
- Die cut out a Stitched Shape Circle.
- Stamp the “spring chicken” saying with Pacific Point Ink on the circle.
- Add the die cut chicken to the circle with dimensionals.
- Stamp the background Smoky Slate cardstock, with Smoky Slate ink, with the confetti image from the stamp set.
- Stamp the “happy birthday” greeting with Night of Navy ink in the bottom right of the Smoky Slate cardstock.
- Add a 1-1/2″ x 5-1/4″ piece of plaid Designer Series Paper from the Well Suited package to the left side of the Smoky Slate cardstock.
- Attach all to the front of a Night of Navy card base.
- Attach the circle with dimensionals.
I’ll have another masculine card to show you this week!